The necessity to backup your Server:
- The data loss during an attack or corruption or anything can be prevented. Suppose, you have a social media website and it contains sensitive information about the clients. Now, these clients rely on you to keep this information safe, secure and backed up.
- In the case of a server crash, you can implement the backed-up server on a virtual machine. The process is cost-effective and permanent data loss is prevented.
- It makes migration easier if you have created a backup. If you plan to change the server, then the backup server will save money and time.
Now that we know that Windows Server Backup is very important and essential for businesses. It would add value if you knew what to back up? There are various files, sources, databases, etc and choosing an important file is necessary. Check out more about windows server backup software.
Also Check: Download Shareit For PC Windows 7/8/10 & Mac
You can’t include all the data in the backup process because it will increase the demand for space. Coming back to the question: what to backup?
- The first one is the Local Data Sources. There are various files that are created and stored on the local machine. You can include single files, folders, and specific data files. You can create a backup of important folder: Desktop, Favorites, etc. Common Windows library can be backed up in the form of a screenshot. Important images and videos should be included. Hard disk imaging technology allows you to copy the multi-media content. Microsoft Outlook data is useful in many ways and you should include emails, contacts, and events.
- Database backup: Database is the heart of the Server. You should always create a database backup even when it is not needed. It should be a daily habit. All the views, tables, indexes, and stored procedures should be backed up. If you are running multiple databases, then create a backup for all the databases used. Use plug-ins to create the database backup, it will make the task easier.
- Online Data Sources: On a server variety of data is created. A common example of an online data source is an FTP Server. File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is deployed almost by everyone to share the files over the local network. You should include this data in the backup process. Cloud data is important too. Online Data sources ensure the visibility of your Server, so you have to back them up.
As you have selected the data to include in your backup, the next task is to define the strategy. Backup strategy can broadly be divided into two categories: On-premises backup and Remote backup. You can use the on-premises backup setup for a small organization.
You have to copy the important data to the additional storage space or shared storage, manually at certain intervals. In this way, the data is within your reach. The data is accessible whenever you need but the information is vulnerable. Remote backup is much quick, secure, and automated. In the remote backup method, your server will automatically send the data to a remote center.
You have to install a program on every machine containing data you want to backup. The program or the software completes the rest of the job. The automated program will not forget to backup your data while a working employee might. A solid backup strategy should be selected and implemented.
On the basis of implementation backup strategies are of 4 types:
- Full backup method: A complete backup of the server is performed in this method. It also includes copy backup which has all the selected files. It is a bit slow process and it requires a lot of space.
- Differential method: Differential method is similar to the incremental method but it includes all the changed files since the last backup. It requires fewer space and time for implementation.
- Incremental method: Since the completion of a full backup, only the modified files are updated in this procedure. Only the screenshots of changes are stored until a full backup. It is a simple and time-saving method.
- Working set method: You can choose among two options: changed today or last x day’s access change. In the working set method, a daily backup can be scheduled or an x day backup interval can be scheduled. This method is quick and safe.
Advantages of using NAKIVO Windows Server Backup:
- Incremental Strategy is used to create backups. This is a good use media – The files which are modified since the last backup are included, so the storage space requirement goes down.
- The time required to conduct the backup process is less. An incremental backup takes less amount of time than a full backup.
- Files can be found easily. As the incremental strategy is used, the files are arranged accordingly. You can browse and access the files easily.
- The AES encryption makes the backup process attack-proof. If someone tries to break the system, it would take several decades to crack it. The 256-bit encryption makes it difficult to break.
- In an uncertain event of data loss, you will be relieved because you can perform restoration on a virtual machine or a new physical machine within minutes. The migration process is lucid and simple.
- The software offers a report on the success or failure of the backup procedure. The report is proof that the backup is created according to your strategy. Always verify that the procedure is completed safely or not. After the completion, you can also test the created backup. You should be aware that the created backup is functioning properly. If there are any problems then you should report it immediately.
NAKIVO Inc. provides excellent software for server backup and recovery. The support from the company is very good, response time is less than 30 seconds and the support team is available on Sundays. In addition to this, a special blog, online user guide, knowledge base, and a question-answer section is implemented on their official website. You can request a free demo of the process before choosing them. The engineers will guide you through the complete process. Also, a free trial with all the features is available on their webpage. This can help you in understanding the hardware, software, and other requirements. The pricing of the products is competitive and straightforward. You can see the mapping of the features with the charges.
Conclusion: Creating a backup of the Windows Server is important and necessary. If some unfortunate incident corrupts the current running server, then you will have the backed-up server running in just minutes. In addition to this, you should monitor, report, and test the backup procedure whenever you wish.