Technology still has a lot to offer to the living of mankind despite all its revolutions and advantages. From fast wireless communication to robots, there are many inventions that belong to the revolutionary contributions of technology.
Going back to the roots of these technologies is nothing but the various streams of the Engineering field. Engineering as a whole deal with the application of various sciences, mathematics, and logic into systems by turning ideas into implementations. Under the umbrella of Engineering education, there are various streams that contribute to different aspects of technology.
Technology has a direct and closest relation to the Engineering field. Some of the cutting-edge technologies in today’s world are Artificial Intelligence (AI), Cloud Computing, Internet of Things (IOT), Augmented Reality, 3D Printing, Nanotechnology, etc.
All of these technologies are related to one or more Engineering streams and requires in-depth knowledge of Engineering basics. Engineering education is the knowledge of concepts that are required to build such technologies. The core Engineering elements required for the above mentioned, trending technologies are:
1. Artificial Intelligence (AI) – Amongst the cutting-edge technologies, AI tops the list undoubtedly. AI is again a huge discipline under which many different aspects like Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Neural Networks, etc. are creating wonders in the field of Technology.
Teaching a system to learn about a specific task and expecting it to behave the way humans react to that task is not an easy job. It requires an understanding of every single detail. Image, Speech and Text Processing are the main requirements of AI to understand the environment and react accordingly. The Computer Science and Engineering field offer AI as a subject which involves learning of how to implement and improvise the above ideas.
2. Cloud Computing – Flexibility being the main aim of service, Cloud computing provides platforms for technical applications to be designed, built, tested and stored. Individuals and organizations can use the resources that are available online and pay for their usage accordingly. Initially, a cloud was known only for the storage facility, but it has evolved in all aspects providing services which are required for complete software development.
3. 3D Printing – Amongst the trending technologies contributed by the mechanical stream, 3D printing is evolving rapidly. Its applications are used in some of the critical fields like medicine, armed forces, construction, etc. A 3D printer is used to create objects which are designed by software.
It has evolved to an extent where body parts are being designed by 3D printers to replace damaged parts in the body. The armed forces use it for designing modern equipment. Having its impact in such fields adds as a reason for it to grow rapidly.
4. Internet of Things (IOT) – Connecting the world through the Internet is the main idea behind IOT. Automating even the smallest of objects to perform some tasks which are operated by humans from a different location is achieved by the use of the Internet. Connecting objects, people and the environment to perform an operation is IOT.
5. Augmented Reality – Simulation of operations in a 3D view is augmented reality. Projection technologies and building the 3D perspective of the system to be simulated is a major task. It is mainly used in construction and mechanical fields to understand the structure of buildings and working of objects.
Nowadays it is being used in school education as well, to help students understand the concepts better. Again, the wide range of applications leads to the growth of technology.
There is a markable demand for learning these cutting-edge technologies which are evolving rapidly. Since these technologies are linked with the Engineering field directly, many Engineering colleges across the country have started to offer them as full-time courses.
Due to the growing demand for these technologies and Mumbai is one of the hubs for the technology industry, Engineering Colleges in Mumbai are offering these courses with collaborations from the industry providing practical exposure to the students. It is sure that the future of today’s world is going to belong to technology.